Before Septoplasty Surgery

A person who has suffered a deviated septum as a result of an accident may go straight to the emergency room, where they will likely be referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) for further examination; the ENT may or may not refer a patient to a facial plastic surgeon. Other people first see their primary care physician, who then refers them to the aforementioned specialists.

No matter how you end up in the office of a nose specialist, it’s good to be prepared to answer certain questions about your medical history. The specialist will also ask you the following questions:

  • How long have you been experiencing nasal obstruction?
  • How bad is the obstruction?
  • Is one side worse than the other?
  • Are you having problems with your sense of smell?
  • Are you having nosebleeds?
  • Do you have sinusitis?

It’s also a sharp idea to make a list of questions to ask the specialist, such as:

  • What is causing my nasal obstruction?
  • What is the best course of action?
  • Are there any alternative treatments?
  • What else should I do?

During your appointment, your nose specialist will examine the inside of your nose with a nasal speculum and a lighted scope. This allows the doctor to see if you have a deviated septum and determine whether you need surgery to correct it.